Even in Sri Lanka, today, HIV is a common thing that all of us have heard. But it was unlike in past decades. We heard this from western countries mostly. Sad to say, it is spreading fast in Sri Lanka also. So that’s why ladies you should be careful and be ware from this disease. Do you know what is HIV exactly? Actually this is a virus that progressively attacks the immune system. Then it will lead to weak our body’s natural protection against illness. So, if any person is infected by this virus, then that person’s body’s natural protection against diseases become weaken. Destroying a type of white blood cell called a T-helper cell and makes copies of itself inside are the significant thing that happens after having HV infected to any person’s body.
What are Symptoms of HIV?
We can classify this infection into 03 stages. Though we are sharing symptoms here, you can’t rely on symptoms to tell whether you have HIV or not. Having a blood test is the only way to know for sure if you have it or not.
HIV Early Stage Symptoms
01. Within 2-4 weeks after this virus infection, some may experience a flu-like illness.
05. Night sweats
06. Muscle aches
07. Sore throat
09. Swollen lymph
10. Mouth ulcers
And, for 10 years or more, some HIV infected guys do not show any symptoms at all also.
Clinical Latency stage Symptoms
01. If any infected guy doesn’t take medicine to treat this, then this period can last a decade to him/her.
02. HIV is still active, but it reproduces at very low levels.
03. If the infected person doesn’t have any symptoms even in this phase, there is a possibility to transmit this disease to others.
AIDS Stage Symptoms
- Rapid weight loss
- Recurring fever
- Profuse night sweats
- Extreme and unexplained tiredness
- Prolonged swelling of the lymph glands in the armpits, groin or neck
- Sores of the mouth, anus, or genitals
- Pneumonia and Red, brown, pink, or purplish blotches on or under the skin or inside the mouth, nose, or eyelids
- Memory loss
- Neurologic disorders
Note;However, all the symptoms that mentioned that we have mentioned above related to other illnesses also. So, you can’t conclude as you are infected by this virus. Therefore, the best way to know of you have HIV or not is to get tested.
HIV Prevention Tips
- Before having sex, have a blood test yourself and your partner in order to know the HIV status.
- Use less risky sexual ways – Oral sex is much less risky than anal or vaginal sex.
- Use quality condoms in a correct way to reduce the risk of having this virus.
- Much better, if you can limit your number of sexual partners.
So, if you will follow these tips, you can reduce the risk of exposing to HIV virus.